BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Become the next highly sought after professional in the field of Computer Science. Whether it’s software development, internet and web management, cloud technologies, or network computing you’re interested in, we have a pathway for you.
Our BSc (Hons) Computer Science degrees will put you at the forefront of cutting-edge technologies. Throughout your studies, you will combine knowledge of the fundamentals of computer science theory and technology with specialist learning and real-world work experience.
The three years of academic study will give you a broad knowledge of computer science, while allowing you to specialise in your chosen area.
In the first year, you will gain an all-round knowledge in Computer Science covering aspects of software development, application modelling, digital technologies, as well as delve into concepts of networking cloud technologies and web development.
In the second year, you will continue to do a few more core modules covering commercial computing, and databases and data structures. Interestingly, this is when you will have the chance to tailor your course to your interests and future career ambitions; you may opt to study Computer Science as a broad degree, or specialise in:
– Cloud Technologies
– Internet and Web Management
– Network Computing
– Software Development
In your final year, you’ll take your specialisation further by studying advanced modules. Your course will culminate in a Final Project, which will be planned with your course leader; this will be tailored to your own personal needs and demonstrate your knowledge of computer science.
On successful completion of the BSc (Hons) Computer Science, students will be awarded with a Staffordshire University degree
Teaching and Learning
You will learn through lectures, tutorials and workshops. Lectures are highly interactive and incorporate group discussions, video presentations, and activity-based learning. Learning activities are designed to develop soft skills as well as your ability to work independently and as part of a group. Your learning experience will be enriched by field visits and guest lectures by industry experts.
Software Development and Application Modelling
- Introduction to object oriented programming
- Introduction to object oriented analysis & design using UML
- Elementary computing mathematics
- Elementary computer & cloud architecture & networking
Networking Concepts and Cyber Security
- Design and development of commercial network infrastructure (CCNA: Routing and Switching)
- Introduction to basic cyber security principles
Web Development and Operating Systems
- Basic website design & development using java script & HTML
- Introduction to Linux operating system & bash scripting
- Professional & study skills & research methods
- Introduction to project management using agile methods
Databases and Data Structures
- Introduction to database design & development
- Introduction to algorithms & data structures
- Cyber Operations and Network Security
- Enterprise Cloud and Infrastructure Automation
- Mobile App Development
- Routed and Switched Architectures
- Server-Side Programming
- Web Development
Industry Placement up to 1 Year
At the end of the second year you may opt for an internship/ placement to gain industry exposure.
- Final Year Project
- Clean Coding and Concurrent Programming
- Enterprise Cloud and Distributed Web Applications
- Decision Analytics
- Multiple Devices and User Experience
- Web and Artificial Intelligence
- Advanced Networks and Operating Systems Security
- Cloud Virtualisation and Communications
- Emerging Technology
The minimum qualifications required for admission on the standard route are:
A. GCE Advanced Level
- Sri Lankan: 3 passes or
- London, Cambridge or Edexcel : 3 D passes or
- Any combination totalling to 12 points from the following tariff scheme:
|GCE Advanced Level Grade|
Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology Degree Foundation
B. GCE/GCSE Ordinary Level – Credit Passes (Grade 4) for English and Mathematics
C. Equivalent qualifications
The minimum qualifications required for admission on the accelerated route are:
– GCE Advanced Level (Sri Lankan, London, Cambridge or Edexcel) – 3 C passes and
– GCE/GCSE Ordinary Level – Credit Passes (Grade 4) for English and Mathematics
You may apply pending A/L results. Applicants with additional qualifications may receive advanced entry.
You will be able to commence your career as an Associate Software Engineer, Application Developer, Web Engineer, Web Developer or Quality Assurance Engineer. You will progress through your career in job roles such as Technical Lead and Software Architect leading to senior positions associated with influencing the technology direction of an enterprise or industry.