Networks are vital to any modern organization. Computer systems store, process and communicate a wide variety of data over networks. Much of this data is private and improper access can result in significant costs to the organization or persons who own the data. Securing computer networks and systems against malicious attack or even accidental damage, is vital to any computer network and system.
BEng (Hons) Computer Networks & Security is a fulltime honours degree awarded by Staffordshire University, UK. The award aims to provide a sound understanding of computer networks and network security so that students acquire the skills to troubleshoot networked systems, identify and rectify security breaches and design robust and secure network security solutions. The curriculum incorporates cutting edge technologies and emergent industry practices.
Over the study programme, you will acquire the knowledge required to successfully complete relevant industry certifications, namely CCNA Routing and Switching, CCNP Routing and Switching and CCNA Security.
The BEng (Hons) Computer Networks & Security provides you the opportunity to gain globally recognised Cisco Certification without any additional training. Our cutting edge network and security laboratory equipped with the latest Cisco hardware enables you to get hands on training for the following certifications.
CCNA: Routing and Switching
CCNP: Routing and Switching
You will learn through lectures, tutorials and workshops. Lectures are highly interactive and incorporate group discussions, video presentations, and activity based learning. Learning activities are designed to develop soft skills as well as your ability to work independently and as part of a group. Your learning experience will be enriched by field visits and guest lectures by industry experts.
Fundamentals of Computer Networks
• Network Fundamentals (CCENT)
• Design and deployment of commercial network infrastructure (CCNA: Routing and Switching)
Mathematics for Technical Computing
• Elementary mathematics for network professionals
Introduction to Security Technologies
• Introduction to basic security principles
Data Storage and Software Development
• Introduction to object oriented programming using JAVA
• Introduction to database design and development
Hardware & Computer Systems
• Elementary Computer architecture, cloud computing and Virtualization
• Introduction to C programming and Linux scripting
• Implementing Cisco security using ASA (CCNA: Security)
• Advanced Cisco Edge network security solutions (CCNP: Security 1)
• Penetration testing and the five phases of hacking (CEH)
• Tools and counter measures for active network defense
Routing and Switching
• Implementing cisco routing for large scale networks (CCNP: Routing and Switching 1)
• Advanced switching using cisco technologies and devices (CCNP: Routing and Switching 2)
Professional Skills for Networking
• Professional, study and research skills development
• Design and Documentation for CISCO network architecture
Industry Placement up to 1 Year
• At the end of the second year you may opt for an internship/placement to gain industry exposure.
Advanced Network Security
• Advanced Cisco threat control solutions (CCNP: Security 2)
• Security solutions for mobility (CCNP: Security 3)
Troubleshooting a Converged IP Based Network
• Documentation, maintenance and troubleshooting of converged networks (CCNP: Routing and Switching 3)
Computer Systems Security
• Cryptography and advanced concepts in secure computing
Information Systems Engineering in Industry
• Design thinking, software commercialization and entrepreneurship
Final Year Project
• Research methods
• Network design and security
• Implementation and testing
The minimum qualifications required for admission are:
GCE Advanced Level with 2 Passes with a Credit Passes for English at the GCE (Ordinary Level)
GCE Advanced Level (London, Cambridge or Edexcel) with 2 passes or
Successful completion of the Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology Degree Foundation or
You may apply pending A/L results. Applicants with additional qualifications may receive advanced entry.
You will be able to commence your career as a Network Administrator, Network Engineer, or Network Manager. These careers may eventually lead to senior positions such as Network Specialist, Network Architect and Information Security Specialist. You may aspire to careers associated with decision making that will shape the ICT infrastructure of large corporates.
We have flexible payment options to suit your finances.You can choose to make the full payment upfront, semester payments in two to three instalments or the monthly instalments.